Travelling with a baby can be challenging, but it is also so much fun! With the current Ramadan season and Raya festive travels coming, surely you are thinking - what to do about food when travelling with your baby? How will you prepare food for your little one while on the go? What type of food is best to bring? And how do you store and transport it all? In this blog post, we will answer all of your questions about travelling with baby food. Let's get started!
Before you travel - plan ahead!
It is always a good idea to plan ahead when travelling with a baby. This includes planning for food. If you are breast-feeding, you will not need to worry about bringing food for your baby, but if you are formula-feeding or giving your baby solid foods, you will need to pack enough to last the entire trip. When packing baby food, it is important to consider both quantity and quality. You will want to bring enough food to last the entire trip, but you also want to make sure that the food is healthy and nutritious.
There are a few things to keep in mind when packing baby food:
- First, think about what type of food you will be bringing. Ready-to-eat foods are a great option because they are easy to transport and do not require any refrigeration.
- Second, consider how you will be transporting the food. If you are driving, you can pack everything in a cooler. If you are flying, you will need to pack the food in containers that meet the air travel guidelines for liquids and gels.
- Third, don't forget to bring a flask of hot water so that you can thaw your frozen or chilled baby food when your little one is ready to eat.
- Fourth, bring the necessities! Small plastic bowls and cutlery (you can even pack those disposables so that you don’t need to worry about washing!), wet wipes (yes it will get messy), water bottles, etc.
- Finally, make sure to pack enough food for both snacks and meals. It is always a good idea to have some snacks on hand in case your baby gets hungry between meals.
Now that you know what to pack, let's talk about how to prepare baby food while travelling.
Preparing Baby Food While Travelling
There are a few different ways to prepare baby food while travelling.
- The first option is to bring ready-to-eat foods such as jarred baby food, pouches, or cereal bars. These foods are easy to pack and do not require any preparation.
- If you prefer to make your own baby food, you can cook and puree the food ahead of time and then freeze it in ice cube trays. Once frozen, transfer the cubes to a freezer bag and store in the freezer until you are ready to travel. When you are ready to eat, simply thaw the desired number of cubes in a bowl of hot water.
- Another option for making your own baby food is to cook and puree the food ahead of time and then store it in an airtight container in the fridge. This food will last for up to three days in the fridge, so it is a good option if you are travelling for a short period of time.
- If you are travelling with a baby who is eating solids, there are many easy and healthy foods that you can pack. Some great options include:
- fruits and vegetables
- whole grain breads and crackers
- rice cereals
Now that we have talked about what to pack and how to prepare baby food while travelling, let's talk about how to store it.
Storing Baby Food While Travelling
When storing baby food while travelling, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- First, if you are travelling by car, you can store baby food in a cooler with ice packs.
- Second, if you are travelling by plane, you will need to store the food in containers that meet the air travel guidelines for liquids and gels.
- Third, whether you are travelling by car or plane, it is important to keep the food in an airtight container. This will help to prevent spills and keep the food fresh.
- Finally, if you are travelling with a baby who is eating solids, you will want to store the food in small, easy-to-eat portions. This will make it easier for your baby to eat on the go.
Now that you know how to pack, prepare, and store baby food while travelling, you are ready to hit the road! What are your top tips for travelling with your little one? Why don't you share with everyone in the comments? Safe travels! 😃